State Park and Trail Land Acquisition
Overall Project Outcome and Results
The Trust Fund funding allowed for the following State Parks and State Trails land acquisition projects:
- Ownership of approximately 158 acres currently for sale adjacent to Monson Lake State Park. Adding this parcel will provide additional access to a high quality lake and is adjacent to state park ownership.
- Ownership of approximately 360 acres at George Crosby Manitou State Park. Acquisition of this parcel will provide protection to one of the largest and highest quality old-growth northern hardwood forest complexes in the Lake Superior Highlands.
- The DNR Parks and Trails Division made offers to acquire four parcels of land for the Mill Towns State Trail that were rejected by the landowners at the end of June 2010. An Amendment request to transfer the remaining funds to Result 5-acquisition of approximately 1.25 miles of Paul Bunyan State Trail was approved on August 17, 2010.
- The DNR Parks and Trails Division made offers to acquire one parcel in Maplewood State Park that was rejected by the landowner at the end of June 2010.
- Ownership of approximately 1.25 miles of the Paul Bunyan State Trail. The property acquired is comprised entirely of former industrial property and is located adjacent to the shoreline of Lake Bemidji. This acquisition is partially funded through LCCMR and provides for State ownership of a significant segment of the remaining authorized Paul Bunyan State Trail. The acquired trail segment is to be constructed during 2011. Additional funding through Capital Bonding (2005 and 2006) and 2009 LCCMR was also used for this project.
All acquisitions are from willing sellers, within the statutory boundaries of state parks and for statutory authorized state trails as determined by the Commissioner.
For more information, visit http://www.lccmr.leg.mn/all_projects/2008_projects.html.