Ames-Florida House: Roof Repair and Replacement
A project of: Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grants Program
Rockford Area Historical Society
The Ames-Florida-Stork House, built in 1861, remains the oldest structure in the town of Rockford, MN and contains the belongings of two families who originally settled the area. As with all buildings, the house has suffered deterioration due to weather and time. Replacing the roof and repairing the soffit and facia ensures no further interior damage would occur.
According to a conditions survey completed in 2008 by Bob Mack, of MacDonald & Mack Architects, LTD., the roof covering the west wing of the building has failed. This failure has resulted in water damage to the original wallpaper in the "Maid's Bedroom" and damage to the ceiling beams, wall joists, and plaster in the surrounding area. Indirect damage from the failed roof would affect the floors, carpets, and collection items displayed there in due course.
The house and collection items remain essential to the continued operability of the Rockford Area Historical Society. Without the house, built by the original settlers of Rockford, the Society has no way to illustrate the early architecture and lifestyle of Wright County. Without the house, the Society has no place to display and store the photographs, clothing, furniture, letters, diaries, and memorabilia of the families who built the milling industry in town.
By maintaining the structural integrity of the house, the Society can continue to achieve the mission of preserving local history for future generations, as well as ensuring the safety of the visitors and fostering a love of the house so another generation will step up and continue this tradition.